1. Our Beers
  2. Our Pubs
  3. Our Accommodation

The GW, Swindon

Image
More Pictures
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Still outwardly looking every inch a railway hotel in the grand tradition, this large and imposing pub in the shadow of Swindon railway station is now a vibrant bar and grill that is the perfect location for relaxing after work or enjoying a meal from their extensive menu.

Click here to book a room online

Ideally siutated in Swindon town centre opposite the main train station, The GW's modern facilities include:

- double, single and family accommodation rooms
- menus ideal for business lunches and quick-bites
- Cask mark quality beers, excellent wines by the glass
- superb terrace bar
- conference facilities incl. catering for private parties
- private car park
- live Swindon train times feed in the main bar

Arkell's originally purchased the land in 1869 and on it erected their first purpose-built pub, which they called The Great Western Hotel.

It was excellent news for the station porters who supported the application for the licence by drawing attention to the fact that the Queens Tap Hotel were asking the extortionate sum of 2d (1p) a pint.

The hotel proved an instant success because the taproom was altered in the following year and another year on stables were added. A large wing of bedrooms were added in 1904 and the Great Western remained a hotel until 1973.

It was then converted to a steak bar and restaurant and rechristened The Noah's Ark, a name that remained for ten years.

Then it was back to being The Great Western again, but a re-fit in 1991 called for yet another new identity and this magnificent old building re-emerged as the Flag and Whistle.

After a major re-fit in 2000 (and again in 2015 to coincide with Swindon 175), the once famous name synonymous with Swindon returned and the hotel re-opened as the Great Western, or GW as it is more commonly known as.
Back To Top